Measuring digital media is a very important part of every digital media strategy. The understanding of the requirements and metrics associated with each platform can help better assess the impact of the strategies implemented online.
Our afteroon lecture this week was dedicated to web metrics. For this purpose we looked at Google Analytics and all the metrics and measurements the platform provides as well as to sites like Alexa and free SEO health check tools.
Out of the wide range of metrics that Google Analytics displays here are a couple that you should pay attention to:
- average time on site
- average page views per visit
- bounce rate
- landing pages
- exit pages
- return visitors
Further readings and help:
- Check out the Google Analytics resources
- Marc Poirier’s post for Mashable will explain why these metrics matter.
- NFBI’s “Web Metric that Matter Most to Small Businesses”
- Kissmetric’s A Beginner’s Guide to Google Analytics
- Kissmetric’s 50 Resources for Getting the Most Out of Google Analytics
- Meghan Peters’s post on How to get most out of Google Analytics post for Mashable.
SEO health check sites and resources:
Econsultancy’s 10 free SEO tools you should bookmark